Frequently Asked Questions
about Landlord Insurance

To work out the level of cover that you will need for your Landlord Buildings Insurance, you need to know the 'Rebuild Cost' for your property.

The rebuild cost of a property is not the same as the purchase price or the amount that you would sell the property for. Instead, the cost of rebuilding your rental property can usually be found on your mortgage lender's valuation document (if you have a mortgage for the property in question). If you do not have a lender's valuation then you can obtain your rebuild cost from a local surveyor.

Once you know the rebuild cost for your property we can help you determine the exact level of cover you will need and give you a quote for your Landlord Buildings Insurance policy.
Standard Residential Home Insurance is not designed for rental properties and you may find that you are not covered when you try to make a claim. Landlord Insurance provides similar cover to what you would expect from a Residential Home Insurance policy, but is specifically designed to cover the particular events that can occur with a tenanted rental property.

It is particularly important to take out specialist Landlord Insurance if you are a Buy To Let landlord. Most mortgage lenders will require you to have Landlord Insurance Cover as part of your mortgage agreement, so you risk breaching the terms of your mortgage if you don’t have the correct insurance cover.

You do not need to have both Residential Home Insurance and Landlord Insurance at the same time. If you already have Home Insurance for your rental property, you will need to switch to a Landlord Insurance policy.
There is an important difference between Buildings and Contents insurance.

Buildings Insurance will cover the property itself and any outbuildings, as well as permanent fixtures and fittings inside the building - such as fitted wardrobes, hardwood floors and built-in appliances.

Contents Insurance, on the other hand, covers the 'moveable' items such as ornaments, free standing furniture, carpets and certain appliances.
We offer a range of options and additional extras for our Landlord Insurance policies, so you can find the right cover for you and your property.

The exact level and type of cover included in your policy will depend on the decisions you make when taking out your policy. To find out exactly what's covered in your policy you can download or view a copy of your policy booklet which contains all the relevant information about what is and isn't covered.

If you have any questions that aren't answered in your policy booklet or your policy overview document, you can always give us a call on 0333 300 3406 and a member of our support team will be happy to help.
Defaqto are an independent and trusted brand that assess the quality of financial products and services to help consumers get an impartial assessment of products they are interested in.

Defaqto cover 80 separate areas across general insurance, wealth management, life and protection and banking. Their Star Ratings rate products based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features and benefits they offer.

A 4 or 5 Star rating represents one of the best products or services available on the market. Our Landlord Insurance is rated 5 Star by Defaqto and we are proud to offer our comprehensive cover to landlords across the UK.
Yes, we offer a range of landlord insurance products to help safeguard your property and your income.

We offer comprehensive Rent Protection Insurance for landlords that will safeguard your rental income and cover your legal expenses should you need to evict a tenant. You can find out more about our Rent Protection Insurance here: TheHouseShop | Rent Protection Insurance.

We can also offer a range of optional extras when you purchase our Landlord Home Insurance, such as Accidental Damage cover, Landlords Emergency cover and Legal Expenses cover. To learn more about any of these additional products simply ask your account manager or advisor when you sign up for Landlord Home Insurance.