What if it is a Fixed Term Agreement and the Time is Not Ver?

Share on facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

According to the Housing Act 1988, if a tenant in still in the fixed term, a landlord can only request the tenant leaves on certain grounds such as;

  • The tenant owes rent
  • The tenant has used the property for illegal activities

Depending on which reason it is, notice given to the tenant may vary from 2 weeks to 2 months.

For Assured Tenancies

A landlord would have to use one of the reasons stated in the Housing Act of 1988 to repossess the property.

For Excluded Tenancies or Licences

Excluded tenancies are normally the case when there are lodgers and shared rooms involved. In this case, a landlord usually has to give reasonable notice, which is usually the length of the payment period (1 week or 1 month, depending on the agreement).

Non-excluded Tenancy or Licence

A written quit notice can be given at any time, and the notice period depends on the kind of tenancy agreement involved.

Break of Clause

If a tenant breaks a clause in the agreement, the landlord can give the tenant notice to leave after the event. However, the landlord cannot repossess the property until after 6 months from the start of the agreement.

Share on facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Subscribe To Our Newsletter