What is Included in Referencing?

Share on facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Proof of Identity

The potential tenant would have to confirm their identity by showing identity cards or other valid ID documents. This part of the process is a security measure.

Reference From Former Landlords or Letting Agents

This is a pretty straightforward step: former landlords or letting agents provide information on how reliable the tenant in question was, based on their experience with them. This is a very valuable part of referencing because landlords then know what they need to look out for.

Credit Checks

Landlords and letting agents need to find out if the intended tenant is financially able to pay their bills as needed. They would also need to check that the tenant has not been declared bankrupt previously.

Proof of Employment

Regular income means regular rent payment. Landlords and letting agents are often advised to get written proof of income and employment. The employment evidence should show the employment status, start of employment, length of employment, and salary. If self-employment is the case, bank statements and details from an accountant will help draw a conclusion on the financial eligibility of the tenant.

Proof of Residency

Landlords or letting agents need to confirm that the potential tenant is a resident of the UK before letting them rent a property. To this end, they might ask the tenant for a council tax or utility bill receipt from the last 3 months.

Right to Rent Check

These are immigration checks done to confirm that potential tenants have been granted legal right to live in the UK. This part of tenant referencing has been made compulsory for all landlords and letting agents. Tenants are asked to provide their passports to this effect. People from The United Kingdom and its colonies, Switzerland, and The European Economic area have automatics right to rent in the UK. If the tenant cannot provide a passport, the following documents could validate the right to rent:

  • A certificate of naturalization or registration as a British citizen
  • EEA/Swiss national passport/identity card
  • EEA/Swiss family member Permanent Residence card
  • Biometric Residence Permit with unlimited leave
  • UK immigration status document endorsed with unlimited leave
  • Passport or travel document endorsed with unlimited leave
  • Registration Certificate or document certifying permanent residence of EEA/Swiss national

People from other countries would have to show their visas and the time allowed to rent in the UK.

Share on facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Subscribe To Our Newsletter