Landlord Insurance

Specialist Home Insurance for Landlords

  • Defaqto 5 star rated cover provided by Payment Shield
  • Buildings cover up to £1,000,000
  • Up to £2m Property Owners Liability cover
  • Malicious damage covered as standard
  • Alternative accommodation for tenants
  • Optional Contents Cover

Call us now on 0800 368 7554 (9am-5.30pm, Mon-Fri) or use the form below to learn more about our Landlord's Home Insurance cover.

hassle free rent collection

Are You Really Covered?

Did you know that Residential Home Insurance might not cover your rental property? Your investment could be at risk if you don't take our specialist cover designed for landlords.

Our first class Landlord Insurance protects you and your property when you need it most.


reduce late payments

5 Star Defaqto Rated

Defaqto star ratings are an independent and trusted industry standard for assessing the quality and comprehensiveness of a financial product. A 5 star rating represents one of the best quality offerings in the market and we are proud to have been awarded this unbiased and respected rating.


protect your rental income

Landlord Buildings Cover

Our Landlord Insurance policies come with up to £1,000,000 buildings cover as standard. We cover you for loss of rent, alternative accommodation for your tenants, malicious damage, temporary storage of furniture and more!


legal expenses cover

Optional Contents Cover

Want to insure the contents of your property as well as the building itself? Choose the level of contents cover that meets your needs with cover options from £10,000 to £50,000 - protecting your possessions against loss or damage.

T&Cs apply, please talk to one of our specialists to find out more.

post eviction rent cover

Flexible Excess Options

We want to make sure that your policy is tailored to suit your needs. That's why we offer a default excess of £250, with the option to reduce to £50 or increase to £500 in easy to manage £50 increments.

Talk to one of our specialists today to find out more.


legal expenses cover

Malicious Damage Cover

Property damage costs UK landlords a whopping £4.5 billion* each year.

Our Landlord Home Insurance policies cover you against malicious damage as standard. We even cover accidental damage to glass, sanitary fixtures/fittings, underground drains and pipes.

*Figure for general property damage cost to UK landlords taken from Access Legal Landlord Report compiled in August 2015.

Why Choose TheHouseShop?

  • Trusted by thousands of landlords
  • UK's leading landlord marketplace
  • Recognised supplier to the National Landlord Association
  • Members of the Property Redress Scheme
  • Partnered with the UK's leading insurance administrators & distributors
  • Appointed representative of Albany Park Ltd, authorised and regulated by the FCA*

*This is regarding insurance products only

Frequently Asked Questions

To be eligible to take our Landlord's Insurance we ask that the property in question:
  • Is a residential property in the UK
  • Is let under a tenancy agreement directly between yourself/your letting agent and your tenants
  • Is occupied by no more than 6 individual tenants
  • Is not a bedsit or divided into individual self-contained units
  • Shows no signs of, and has never had any damage caused by landslip, subsidence or heave
  • Has not been flooded in the past 10 years
We also require that you, or any member of your family living with you:
  • Are at least 18 years old
  • Are occupying the property solely for residential purposes
  • Have not had insurance cancelled, declined or declared void
  • Declare any previous insurance claims in the last 5 years
  • Have not been convicted of any criminal offences, other than motoring convictions, or any offences which are covered under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
To work out the level of cover that you will need for your Landlord Buildings Insurance, you need to know the "Rebuild Cost" for your property.

The rebuild cost of a property is not the same as the purchase price or the amount that you would sell the property for. Instead, the cost of rebuilding your rental property can usually be found on your mortgage lender's valuation document (if you have a mortgage for the property in question). If you do not have a lender's valuation then you can obtain your rebuild cost from a local surveyor.

Once you know the rebuild cost for your property we can help you determine the exact level of cover you will need and give you a quote for your Landlord Buildings Insurance policy.
There is an important difference between Buildings and Contents insurance.

Buildings Insurance will cover the property itself and any outbuildings, as well as permanent fixtures and fittings inside the building - such as fitted wardrobes, hardwood floors and built-in appliances.

Contents Insurance, on the other hand, covers the "moveable" items such as ornaments, free standing furniture, carpets and certain appliances.
We offer a range of options and additional extras for our Landlord Insurance policies, so you can find the right cover for you and your property.

The exact level and type of cover included in your policy will depend on the decisions you make when taking out your policy. To find out exactly what's covered in your policy you can download or view a copy of your policy booklet which contains all the relevant information about what is and isn't covered.

If you have any questions that aren't answered in your policy booklet or your policy overview document, you can always give us a call on 0800 368 7554 and a member of our support team will be happy to help.
Defaqto are an independent and trusted brand that assess the quality of financial products and services to help consumers get an impartial assessment of products they are interested in.

Defaqto cover 80 separate areas across general insurance, wealth management, life and protection and banking. Their Star Ratings rate products based on the quality and comprehensiveness of the features and benefits they offer.

A 4 or 5 Star rating represents one of the best products or services available on the market. Our Landlord Insurance is rated 5 Star by Defaqto and we are proud to offer our comprehensive cover to landlords across the UK.
Yes, we offer a range of landlord insurance products to help safeguard your property and your income.

We offer comprehensive Rent Protection Insurance for landlords that will safeguard your rental income and cover your legal expenses should you need to evict a tenant. You can find out more about our Rent Protection Insurance here: TheHouseShop | Rent Protection Insurance.

We can also offer a range of optional extras when you purchase our Landlord Home Insurance, such as Accidental Damage cover, Landlords Emergency cover and Legal Expenses cover. To learn more about any of these additional products simply ask your account manager or advisor when you sign up for Landlord Home Insurance.

Before you go, we want to let you know:


As with all landlord's insurance policies, there are some circumstances when cover can't be offered or a claim can't be paid. For example, any loss or damage caused by storm or flood to fences, hedges and gates and any loss or damage caused by pets. These are only examples. For full details of what is and isn't covered, please read our Landlord Insurance policy document. Alternatively, you can find further information in our Landlord Insurance policy summary.

Thanks for reading!

Landlord Home Insurance
Call today to learn more

We're always here to help!


0800 368 7554

9am-5.30pm | Mon-Fri

Return to Top