Decorating a condo is not just about aesthetics. It’s about creating a space that reflects your personality, maximises your space, and enhances your overall well-being.
Don’t want to do it for yourself? Do it to improve the resale value of your condo! Staged or well-decorated condos sell faster and exceed the average selling price more often than not.
Treat your condo like your favourite car and give it the attention it deserves. You will be glad to have a space to return to that reflects your personality and helps you destress at the end of every lung-busting workday.
So why wait? Let’s dive into our blog on how to decorate a condo and learn how to unlock the full potential of a new condo development! But first things first… how much does the decoration of a condo cost?
How Much Does It Cost To Decorate A Condo?
The cost to decorate a condo depends on several factors and varies from project to project. Based on my experience, I would advise you to set aside between £2000 – £5,500 for a basic to moderately-sized condo decoration project.
Remember – this is just an approximate figure. Your actual costs to decorate a condo will be higher or lower depending on factors such as – the size of your condo, the number of rooms to be redecorated, style preference, etc. Plan and budget for your specific project well in advance to ensure you stay within your means and achieve the desired result!
How To Decorate A Condo In 10 Simple Steps
Step 1: Assess the space and define your style
Begin by thoroughly assessing your condo’s size, layout, natural light, and applicable regulations or restrictions. Define your preferred style, whether modern, traditional, minimalist, or another aesthetic.
Step 2: Plan your budget
Determine your budget for the decoration, accounting for condo fees and maintenance costs. Prioritise furniture, lighting, storage solutions, and decor items and allocate funds accordingly.
Step 3: Create a floor plan
Measure your condo’s dimensions and create a floor plan that includes the furniture and decor layout. Consider the space’s flow and ensure ample room for functionality. Account for any height or space restrictions.
Step 4: Choose furniture and decor wisely
Select furniture and decor that align with your style and budget, and comply with condo regulations. Opt for multi-functional furniture, such as foldable tables or beds with storage, to maximise space. Choose appropriately scaled items that fit well in the space.
Step 5: Enhance lighting
Given that condos may have limited natural light, enhance artificial lighting. Use a combination of overhead lights, floor lamps, table lamps, and wall sconces to create a well-lit and inviting atmosphere. Choose light-reflecting materials for furniture and decor to make the space feel brighter and more open.
Step 6: Address noise and privacy concerns
Consider using rugs, curtains, and acoustic panels to reduce noise and enhance privacy, especially in shared living situations. Opt for soundproof curtains or rugs with thick padding to minimise noise transmission and create a peaceful living environment.
Step 7: Add personal touches
Incorporate your style through decor items like artwork, rugs, pillows, and accessories. Choose decor that complements the overall aesthetic of your condo and adds a personal touch to make it feel like home.
Step 8: Consider functionality and accessibility
Ensure your condo is functional and accessible by considering the needs of all residents, including those with mobility issues. Choose furniture and layout that allows for easy movement and use, and consider adding accessibility features such as grab bars or adjustable-height furniture as needed.
Step 9: Follow condo regulations
Adhere to all condo regulations and restrictions when decorating your condo. This may include obtaining permission for modifications or renovations, following rules on noise levels, and complying with community aesthetics.
Step 10: Evaluate and adjust
After completing the initial decorating process, evaluate your condo’s overall look and functionality. Make any necessary adjustments based on your experience and feedback from others who use the space.
Finding Inspiration for Condo Decoration Ideas
This is the most fun and exciting part of the entire process. I am a very artsy person. I love staying on top of the design trends in the industry. If you’re like me, on a forever hunt for new ideas and inspiration, these are my top tips for you:
- Join online design communities, forums, and social media groups focusing on home decor, interior design, or condo living. These communities often have members who share their condo decoration ideas, tips, and inspirations. You can also post questions or requests for ideas and get input from fellow design enthusiasts.
- Attend virtual home tours organised by interior designers and home decor professionals. You can find these professionals on social media platforms like YouTube & Instagram, where they post lots of short-video content. Or, you can Google It or Bing It?
- Watch for local home decor events such as home shows, design expos, or interior design workshops in your area. Searching for inspiration in your free time never hurts!
- Look out for home decor magazines, online blogs, and newsletters. There are tons of such resources filled with valuable content. If you find a website or newsletter you like, subscribe to it. That way, you don’t need to go on a wild goose hunt again. Instead, all the new ideas will follow you straight to your inbox.
- Befriend generative AI. You can use basic prompts like ‘Give me condo decoration ideas within X budget’. Or, instruct the chatbot to play the role of an interior designer and share some professional insights on decorating a condo!
I hope you learned something new from this blog. Now it’s your turn to educate me. Do you have a critical step in your decoration process that I missed out on? Or, have you come across some home decor blogs that share great decoration tips? Leave them in the comments section to help out your fellow condo decorators!